Subject: Re: [Leica] Leitz and World War 1
From: LP6@aol.com
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 00:33:11 EST

Alan:

1.  Your WWI comments are interesting.  I worked at a Department of Veteran's
Affairs Medical Center treating WWII veterans for many years along with a
Manhattan private practice.

2.  In the course of my "tour of duty", in the above regard,  I' have
developed a great interest in WWII and in the questions of courage and deeply
felt emotions in the face of battle... that you refer to.  In this work I
have not held a camera in my hand.

3.  I've had to treat the disintegration (which admits to degree) of
personalities falling outside the range of  "what doesn't kill me makes me
stronger"!  (The "formula" doesn't always work!)

4.  More recently, camera in hand, I have visited some WWII sites in Germany,
including a memorable stay at the Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten, and we all know
where that is!   Here I had the pleasure of meeting, off duty, two American
air force veterans with their wives:  two sisters!

5.  We got talking about our recent tour in the near by mountains and I
shared with them something personal; namely, my research project that now
takes so much of my time:  namely, that of writing of a book on the
scientific study of values, valuation and morals.

6.  I noted how my travel and photography in Asia and Europe has helped me to
capture a "sense" of the many WWII stories I have heard from my former
patients over nearly 30 years.  How such travel helps me relive, in part, the
War and the distortion of human values taking place on all sides throughout
that tumultuous period.

7.  Later, as I left this historic hotel one of them shouted after-me very
vigorously-"and be sure to write that book"....for, he strongly held to the
view that our general capacity to value (our "value vision") is tragically
flawed then, and... now!

8. I have seen many photographic images of WWII  "situations"; and, such
images help me recapture the "voltage", and "scale" of "man's inhumanity to
man" (without gender correction) and your sensitive remarks have refocused me
on WWI, as well, and for that I thank you!

Leon
LP6@aol.com