Subject: [Leica] Re: photographing in Greece
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 09:29:00 -0000

"robmueller" <robmueller@home.com> wrote:

>I am planning a trip to Greece to further my exploration into
Mediteranean
Architecture (The first five years involved Spain and Portugal). After
viewing our President in Greece and the "impact" of his visit, I was
wondering if any of the luggers are greek and have noticed an
increasing
violence on persons from the states. I will bypass the Greece mainland
and
head directly to the islands. Do we have any first hand knowledge?

Rob,

I've taken my annual vacation in Greece most years since the late
1970s, either on the mainland or Crete.

I havn't been there for a couple of years, but have no reason to
believe that things have changed any. Violent street demonstrations
have taken place in the past, and I'm sure will do so again. But the
only anti-foreigner sentiment I've ever seen was anti-German in the
late 1960s which had been triggered by a murder committed by a visting
German.

Considering the sheer number of tourists who arrive each year, most
Greeks are amazingly friendly to the visitor - particularly if you
learn just a little of their language. A few hours of study with
teach-yourself-Greek cassettes would be a good investment.

If you want any specific advice on Crete, email me privately.

Regards,

Doug Richardson