Subject: Re: [Leica] lens caps - keeping them
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 13:24:02 -0500

Paul Chefurka wrote:

> Plus, it never ceases to amaze me that people will shell out willingly for
> the cameras and lenses, then look to things like caps and filters to cut
> their costs.  So my gizmo costs a few bucks more than a coupler.
> Even if it did exactly the same things as a coupler, and no more, what's
> an extra $20 in the Leica scheme of things?

I wouldn't poo-poo those who cry about the prices of plastic parts.  Cameras
allow you to mount lenses.  Leica lenses is why we all shoot Leica (putting
aside the virtues of the M cameras for the time being).  One manufacturer's
plastic lens cap is, however, perfectly equivalent to another manufacturer's
plastic lens cap.  There is absolutely no reason for a Leica lens cap to
cost three times as much as that of a Canon, Minolta, Olympus, Nikon,
Cosina, or generic no-name lens cap.

$20 is $20, whichever way you turn it.  $20 saved on a lens cap will either
add to other $20 bills and buy a lens some day, or it will let you do
other things: a family dinner; a night at movies for two; some rolls of
film; paper to print on; a donation to charity.

$20 may not buy you a whole lot of Leica gear, but that does not diminish
the value of the $20 bill itself.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     |
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU       |    What boots up must come down.
email: howard.390@osu.edu         |