Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: ON COLOR
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@neteze.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 21:16:20 -0800

At 08:42 PM 11/29/1999 -0800, Roy Feldman wrote:
>I really wasn't aware of your great power to proclaim one photographer
>better than another(hell, I didn't even know it was a contest). I prefer
>some photographers over others, but to  place one over the other is a gift
>,apparently Szarkowski never conferred with you on his decision

Hey, if you can't take people saying what they think without feeling
somehow assaulted, you'd better get off the Internet, because we're not
about to stop just because you think we are oppressing you. Why not accept
that we aren't going to bow down to the great John Szarkowski or anyone
else when we disagree with them?

I don't accept that it takes some New York curator (New Yorkers often don't
get the kind of photography I relate to), or some elite museum to tell me
what and who I should like. And I don't expect anyone to just take my word
for who is great either. Why do you and others somehow object to my
expressing what I think? Volume I can understand, content, forget it. Why
should we have to put a disclaimer on every message saying this is our
opinion. When is it NOT? Maybe in the character of Erwin's posts, but
that's about it.

Those photographers you mention are pretty good. But they are not the be
all and end all of photography. Shoot, they don't even do color, so they
are out of the scope of this topic, no?

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA

http://www.neteze.com/ewelch

Ernest Hemingway's writing reminds me of the farting of an old horse.
              - E.B. White