Subject: [Leica] Re: Cold camera cold film
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 06:05:29 -0600

At 11:38 AM 30/11/99 +0100, Alan Hull wrote:
>It is getting cold in Sweden and I have read conflicting advice about
>carrying a camera in cold weather.  One school recommends that I should
>carry the camera under my parka next to my chest to keep it warm and
>the oils fluid.  The other school recommends that I carry the camera
>exposed to the cold to allow the air inside and outside the camera to
>stabilize to avoid condensation on the lens and film.

If you are out doing any strenuous activity (like walking through deep
snow) you may find that keeping the camera inside your jacket will lead to
condensation problems from the perspiration from your body.  That has been
my experience anyway.  Keep a handheld meter inside your jacket so that the
batteries stay warm, but leave the camera in your bag or out in the open.
From your description of the results you got, it's hard to tell whether the
problem is flare or condensation or possibly even both.