Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: God, no Canon vs. Nikon...
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 16:34:30 -0500

At 11:58 AM 11/30/1999 -0700, Roger Beamon wrote:

>I think Joe meant that the total corporation named Canon was
>larger, Peter. It still remains so, not? Canon, I'm sure, makes far
>more on office equipment such as photocopiers etc. than on the
>optical equipment.

Canon is, as Roger points out,an independent, stand-alone company, the bulk
of whose sales come from the optical components in office machinery and the
like.  Nikon is part of the Mitsubishi group:  this is sometimes held to
be, like the old Byrd Machine in Virginia politics, "just a bunch of
friends who happen to agree" and, by others, to be a closely knit
combination of companies with the legal appearance, but not the reality, of
independence from each other.  In either case, Nikon does not have to stand
on its own when the rest of the Mitsubishi group has some extra cash they
can infuse, as they have on occasion over the years.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!