Subject: Re: [Leica] Cold camera cold film
From: "Dave Stratton" <stratton@gci.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 14:28:20 -0900

Alan

I shoot velvia in as cold as minus 30 deg Farh.

I have found the following the best.
1.   From the begin of shooting until end....LEAVE THE CAMERA IN THE COLD.
Test camera to the shooting temp to be sure the camera will not fail.

2.  If the camera requires a battery...KEEP THE BATTERY WARM BETWEEN SHOTS.
Even if this means taking the battery from the camera after each shot.
Don't let the battery become to cold.  Best to have two...then rotate when
convenient.  I shoot a 6x7 Pentax and have a cold weather battery device
that allows me to carry the battery being used next to my body for warmth.

I know photographers that shot the Northern Lights.  They will use
mechanical cameras...set the camera up and leave out all night (in 60 below
zero (F) and shoot all night, coming out of a tent or protective warmth from
time to time as the light dictates...and shoot with the camera and film
stabilized at 60 below.   They have little trouble with the camera or film.
Mostly their trouble is how the temperature really drops human
efficiency....but the camera and film work fine.

I think the above will make the fogging of the film just go away

Dave
Fairbanks, AK
P.S.   Its 25 below outside right now.   I have had practice.   And I think
the above is good advice.  It was given to me a long time ago and it solved
a lot of cold weather photo problems.