Subject: RE: [Leica] God, no Canon vs. Nikon...
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@neteze.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 17:50:59 -0800

At 08:09 AM 11/30/1999 -0800, Kotsinadelis, Peter (Peter) wrote:
>Canon did it because their FD mount was passe.
>Nikon thought it would provide a sort of investment protection, but the
>limited diameter is problematic since you have to constantly look backward
>(for compatibility) to advance forward

This is part of the urban legend that the NPS official told me about. Nikon
has a plenty wide lens mount. They could do a 50mm f/1.0 lens if they
chose, and the big fast long lenses are not lacking. The difference is, if
they want to add the extra contacts, they have to be placed differently
than they are in a Canon lens, because of a slightly narrower lens mount.
But it's not that much of a problem. With digital communication between
lens and body, there doesn't need to be that many contacts if they put some
thinking into how to make what they have work. Notice the Digital Command
Control that model railroaders use nowadays, and all they have is the two
rails to carry all that info.

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA

http://www.neteze.com/ewelch

Men say they know many things; but lo! they have taken wings