Subject: [Leica] 75mm f1.4 DOF (and DOF in general)
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@oven.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 12:28:28 -0500

1999-12-01-00:51:21 Eric Welch:
> What we have been saying is correct, depth of field is independent
> of focal length along [sic]. Magnification and aperture determine it.

Magnification and aperture and optical formula.

No, really.  Take 35mm Summicron-Ms, both ASPH and pre-ASPH, and focus
on something closeish at the same wide aperture.  Look at nearer and
farther things in the pictures you take.  The ASPH lens dives out of
focus at a more rapid rate than the pre-ASPH.  And I'm talking about
absolute sharpness at these places out of the plane of focus, not just
differences made subjectively more dramatic by the greater snap of the
ASPH when it *is* in focus.

I asked Erwin about this some months ago -- theorizing that perhaps
the ASPH had physically larger diaphragn openings for a given marked
stop, and that the lenses were calibrated in T-stops rather than
actual apertures -- but he told me that what I observed is actually
because the rays within the ASPH design converge at a sharper angle.
(I hope I'm paraphrasing right).

So... depth of field being dependent only on magnification and
aperture is probably just a good first approximation, or one valid
across a family of optical designs similar in some as-yet-unspecified
way, or... ?