Subject: Re: [Leica] A root thought
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@oven.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 16:13:38 -0500

1999-12-03-05:45:42 B. D. Colen:
> I'm not so sure. The 75 IMHO is closer in feel to the 50 than to the 100.
> And I know it's a 25 mm difference in both directions. :-)

This was probably obvious to you and acknowledging it was probably
subsumed by the above smiley, but note that 75mm is 50% longer than
50mm, and 100mm is only 33% longer than 75mm.

Subjectively... I have no seat-of-the-pants reckoning of 75s versus
100s.  But the 75 *does* always feel more to me like a "short 90" than
a "long 50".  And whaddaya know -- 90 is only 20% longer than 75.

As for the wide end -- lenses, not what I'm likely to develop sitting
in front of this pesky computer -- I have a 28 which has turned out to
collect a bunch of dust in the years I've had it.  It apparently
doesn't register in my brain as enough different from 35mm for me to
think of grabbing it.  I was somewhat afeared that the same phenomenon
would hold true with the 24, but while the 24 is close enough to my
shelf-potato 28 to seem silly, it's different enough from the
much-used 35mm focal length to seem a different and worthwhile beast.
I've probably used the 24 more in the months I've had it than the 28
in a couple of years.  I'll probably eventually get around to selling
the 28, once I get myself used to the intensely alien concept of
letting anything slip out of by grasping little fingers.

And let me say yet again, in case anyone has managed not to be aware
of it: the 24mm M lens is completely, 100% stunning corner-to-corner.

 -Jeff Moore <jbm@oven.com>