Subject: Re: [Leica] Desperately seeking enlarger recommendation
From: Johnny Deadman <deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 09:46:23 +0000

on 1/12/99 11:41 am, Gareth Jolly at garethjolly@bigpond.com wrote:

> And lens actually.
>
> I'm looking for a lower middle level enlarger and lens, mainly to print
> 35mm, although I would also like the option to print 6x6.  I would like to
> print 35mm to around 12" x 16".  While my heart is with a Focomat, I'm not
> quite sure it will fit my budget.  Anyone have any recommends?  The main
> enlarger brands locally available seem to be LPL, Meopta and Durst.

A user Focomat 1c will work out the same or less than a comparable new
enlarger from the above manufacturers. You should be able to get a II with a
full complement of lenses for an entirely reasonable price. One of the
quirks of the new/secondhand market. Make sure you go and take a look at a
real Focomat I or II - the standard of engineering is truly astounding. The
couple of hundred bucks (max) more you may end up spending for a nice one
will never be missed. OTOH even though the LPL etc are fine, you will always
want a Focomat. Believe me, I know.

My only caveat would be if you buy a Ic, make sure it has a filter drawer.
mine doesn't, and it's a pain.

BTW, anyone want to buy a user Ic without a filter drawer??

- --
Johnny Deadman

"Even the best writers talk too much" - Vauvenargues