Subject: [Leica] First Nikon/Canon and now Mac/PC again? Oh the horror...
From: "Rod Fleming" <rodfleming@sol.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 17:44:28 -0000

.

Hi

Mark Rabiner wrote

 > I know a lot of people mainly photographers. None of them has
 > a PC. Sorry.
 >

> Mark Rabiner

Well, I guess you better update your contacts book, sez one PC-using pro!

Interestingly, from having complete domination of the UK pre-press market 4
years ago, Mac's position has steadily receded. Many photogs, design
companies and printers use PCs today. And this is in the area which is
always regarded as the Mac stronghold. While the Mac is certainly still more
prevalent in the graphics area, I would never have imagined 4 years ago that
the PC would have penetrated the market to the extent that it has today. And
perhaps more telling is that whereas 4 years ago a lot of people- printers
and graphic design companies in particular- were very snooty about accepting
PC generated work, today it's so commonplace they don't bat an eyelid.

In terms of my own experience, I used Macs for several years before changing
over to IBM-compatible PCs. In terms of usability, there is no difference.
In terms of reparability, we buy our PCs from a small independent builder
based about a mile away. The MD is a friend now.  If there's a problem- and
there have been- it's sorted within the day. When we used Macs we had to
deal with an Apple concessionaire 120 miles away, and if there was a
problem- and yes there were problems- it was a nightmare. We always knew we
were just one in a long list of customers with problems. Sometimes we had
machines down for over a week. For a small agency supplying the national
Press, that's a disaster. Moving to PCs was a big decision, but I have never
regretted it.

For me, Apple might make fine computers, but until they have a repair man
based down the road from the office (who can be bothered to remember my
name) forget it.

This topic always generates flame wars, so I'll stop there.

Cheers

Rod