Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: OT - Apple comments
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 1999 17:20:19 -0500

At 09:26 PM 12/2/1999 -0800, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
>Apple Computer's market penetration is more like 12-15% of the
>marketplace (we have over 60% of new computer sales in the consumer
>market space in Japan right now with the iMac and iBook; the iBook is
>currently the best selling laptop in the US and possibly the world
>according to the independent sales reports in the financial papers this
>past Wednesday).

Godfrey

These figures you cite tell us little.  There was almost two decades where
the fruity #2 brand had a minuscule share of the market -- and those twenty
years of sale ARE the pool of computers now in use.  A LOT of companies
still are using a 286 in the back room for some program they have been
running for years, such as a billing system which has never been upgraded.
Overall, I'd suggest that Apple's total penetration is LESS than 5%.  They
will have to sell a LOT of computers for a LOT of years to increase their
share significantly -- and a lot of the graphics types are converting from
fruit to substance.

The old saw is that elementary school kids, old folks, and graphics arts
sorts are the only nature audience for Apple, as these people are incapable
of understanding a fully capable computer.  I suspect this is untrue,
though the only close friend I have who is a Mac user IS a hopeless klutz
with any computer -- took him three years to figure out how to hook his Mac
up to the Internet.  (And, no, it is NOT true that you can always spot the
Mac user from the daubs of white-out on the monitor screen ... )

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!