Subject: Re: [Leica] Technique: Using the 24mm
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 1999 17:14:18 -0800

"Roger L. Bunting" wrote:
><Snip>
> Does anyone care to share those situations where this lens really speaks
> to them? I feel like I need a course 101 in 24mm. I used one over
> Thanksgiving around a bunch of camera shy relatives, nothing - no stolen
> moments, just empty - perhaps the working distance was just too close.
> Results were much better with the 35mm where the people seemed to relax
> more. Anyway, any input is welcome.
>
> Thanks
> Roger

I took only my 24 on my Leica M for Thanksgiving.
Relatives at a thanksgiving dinner expect casual picture taking. They don't
expect to have ultra close-ups done of their face.
That is how they would feel was happening at the couple of feet working
distances you would need with the 24 to get the kind of shots most people think
of getting on a Thanksgiving occasion. You have to say "No Mom I'm not trying to
shoot a close up of your face I'm shooting a picture of you sitting at the table
with your whole plate of food in front of you with part of the people sitting
next to you.
Invading peoples "personal space" is the name of the game when using the 24.
You've got to climb right in there.
I find myself telling people I am useing a very wide angle lens getting
everything not just thier face. That smooths things over and breaks the ice.
Mark Rabiner