Subject: Re: [Leica] Makro 100/4
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 1999 17:49:24 -0800

Eric Welch wrote:

> > I don't own the lens in question, and it's unlikely that I will in the next
> > 5 years (at least!).  Those of you who do, is my hypothesis correct?  Am
> > I missing something?
>
> You are right, but unfortunately, the light you suggest is horrible. Nothing
> worse than light directly from teh camera axis or close to it. Fashion
> trends notwithstanding.
>
> --
>
> Eric Welch
> Carlsbad, CA
>
> A mind is a terrible thing to lose... Dan Q.

I remember reading about how Mary Pickfords cinematographer was attaching the
key light to the camera in an effort to make her nubile as was the fashion of
the times the same thing happening with Lillian Gish well into thier '40s. It
might have even been Mary Pickfords IDEA to actually attache the light to the
camera. This was the 1920's. The idea of the on camera key light will be
offensive to people of artistic sensibility just as any artificial light  might.
But we know it has it's use. Darn convenient.
I say BLAST the little buggers. I'm not always in the mood to carry around the
cord thing although it's much more Leicalike. I'm getting a TTL coiled cord for
my Metz as they are just now made for the Leica M and I just now have a TTL M6.
I'll probably end up using it more and getting more no-light shots and end up
shooting more 100 film instead of always the 400 or 3200. It's just too
convenient to pass up. I used to always have a flash on my camera years back
(Nikon). Despite what most people think the Leica M especially now that is has
gone TTL is not a horrible atrocity with flash. The fashion police won't throw
you in jail for having one on camera or attached to it with a little cord. BLAST 'em!
Mark Rabiner