Subject: [Leica] too many unnecessary features
From: Frank Dernie <FrankDernie@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 05:50:56 -0500

Dear LUGGERS

I was encouraged by Mikiro's question on the 100 f4 macro to drag out
Steven Dalton's book "Secret Lives" - one of my favourite books. The
majority of his ground breaking high speed photographs are take using the
100mm f4. There is a page called "notes on photography"
I quote from this:-

Quote "The camera model has little to do with results. Nowadays there seems
to be a technological obsession with photographic equipment, brought about
for the most part by the camera mkers, who find it necessary to incorporate
more and more complex gagetry to sell their wares. Encouraged by much of
the photographic press, who discuss and compare at great length all thes
multi programmes, auto-this and digital-that, it is no wonder that many
photographers find it next to impossible to select suitable equipment.
I have tried thes 'state of the art' cameras with their half dozen metering
modes, auto focussing, digital liquid crystal displays, flashing lights and
squeaks, and although they are fine for family snaps, I find them
disappointing for serious work. The trouble is they are not designed for
photographers.
Although playing with these electronic toys can be fun, in my experience
the simpler the equipment the better. As long as a camera is totally
reliable, has first class lenses, produces minimum mechanical vibration and
preferably has a mirror lock, then little else matters." end quote

How true - and this published in 1988.

FWIW all his flying insect pictures are taken using a Leicaflex SL usually
with 100 f4. He has a Nikon F3 and FE2 (prefers match needle to digital
display - so do I) with Nikkors apart from two macro Leitz lenses converted
to fit the Nikon. He usually uses Kodachome 25 film.

I find it hard to imagine any modern kit producing better photographs than
his and the bokeh on the flying insect pics is very much to my taste.

Cheers Frank