Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 meter
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 05:53:40 -0800

Mark Rutledge wrote:

<<<<<The meter in the M6 is compelling, but the only info I can find on the
metered area is that it is "selective". Is this somewhere between spot and
centerweighted? If it is more spot, by the time you figured what is 18%
gray in the scene, wouldn't it be just as quick to use a handheld and get a
much less expensive M2,4-2,4P,? Any feedback is welcome.>>>>

Hi Mark,

This is how I generally use my M6's and without any thought of whether it's
selective or not.

I see, focus, adjust aperture or shutter speed dial, red lights on.....SHOOT!:)

If you stop to think where the area is that is being metered, it's over and
you've missed the photograph.

Keep it simple!  I'm sure others will give you the technical aspects, but I
can assure you using the in camera meter is much much faster by far than
fiddling with a hand meter.  Not that there aren't times when the hand
meter is the right tool. Rarely.

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant