Subject: [Leica] attachments- affects everyone
From: "Rod Fleming" <rodfleming@sol.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 08:32:59 -0000

Hi- apologies in advance for caps- this is serious.

I note someone raised the issue of mysterrious attachments.

Over the last few days I have received a couple of LUG Digests with small
attachments. I have isolated these and have run a virus check and they seem
to be harmless. When I get a chance, hopefully later today, I will send one
of these to the supplier of my Virus Checker (Trend) to see if they can
identify them. HOWEVER until these attachments are identified I think they
have to be regarded as suspect. DO NOT under ANY circumstances try to open
them.

I humbly suggest that everyone who has posted in the last week virus-checks
their own system to see if we can find out where these are coming from.

One thing, now don't take this wrong people, but I note that some Luggers
post in HTML (that's what generates those screeds of gobbledygook after your
posts- no names, no pack drill:-)). Is it even faintly possible that someone
is sending electronic Business Cards attached to their posts? The MajorDomo
software will probably not be able to handle these and will just spit them
out again in a garbled form.

If someone is send business cards or fancy stationery or anything else,
please tell us and put minds at rest- I for one promise not to jump on you!
(And then switch the feature off!)

While I am only a very neophyte Lugger, perhaps I might suggest that it
would be a lot better if these possibilities were avoided and all posts were
made in plain text with no fancy doodads on!

Comments from List Admin? Are you out there, List Admin?

Cheers

Rod