Subject: Re: The volks-[Leica]
From: Jeff S <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 14:25:27 -0700

"Hans-Peter.Lammerich" wrote:

> Finally, I would like to conclude my message with an additional idea for an
> "economy Leica M".[snip]

> no frame selector, simplified finder and frames, preferably with magnification
> being optimised for the fixed lens installed,
>
> no cost for lens and body bayonet
>
> rangefinder, center and focus adjustment could be done in one step and with
> higher tolerances, instead of two steps for body and lens separately and with
> tighter tolerances,
>
> focal plane shutter could be replaced by an aperture plane shutter (from the
> shelf, mass produced, cheap, low noise, 1/500" flash synch, plenty of space in
> the body for electronics, integrated winder etc., if you really want that)
[snip]

In an era when folks buy SUVs on the off chance that they might someday
be called upon to move a sofa, minimalism is out; covering all of the
possible scenarios is in. This is why so many cameras are overloaded
with features no one really needs, and they have interchangeable lenses
that will never be interchanged. Minimalist cameras and automobiles are
mostly for a few brave souls and for multi-camera/car households.
- --

Jeff
Somewhere in Boulder, Colorado