Subject: Re: [Leica] Praise for R8 and a question
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 15:50:03 -0800

Nathan wrote:

>After shooting a roll with my new R8, I have concluded that many of its
>detractors probably have never actually used it. It is by far the most
>ergonomically correct and the most intuitive SLR I have ever used.>>>>>>

Nathan,

A man after my own heart! :) Love the camera. Of course what else could I
say after promoting it's greatness for the past 4 years! :)  Even sans the
motor drive. ;)

>And now for a question: the manual states that using the 2-cam lenses
>may damage the camera. Osterloh says the same in his book. I understand
>that I would have only stop-down metering with a 2-cam lens, but what
>exactly is the damage that can be done? And does it mean that I should
>not mount my 6.8/400mm Telyt on the R8?>>>>>>

Don't know what damage could occur, but then Leica tell you not to mount a
2X and 1.4 extender at the same time because "it could damage something."
When they've given me that line in the past I go ahead in most cases and
try it anyway.  What the hell, if you screw something up you'll have
learned not to do it again! :)

Quite frankly, I don't think they really send their guys out to try lots of
things shooters on the street use Leicas for, or they'd know nothing
happens, certainly in the number of years I've been doing it. But what's
important, you get neat pictures you'd otherwise not have on film if you
listen to them.

Live dangerously, nobodies going to die if you screw up. Might cost a few
backs to fix it, but look at the knowledge gained! :)

I see absolutely no reason why you couldn't use a 400/560 6.8 as it's a
manual diaphragm. So when you shoot nothing moves except the mirror and
shutter and neither are effected by the lens attached to the body.

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant