Subject: Re: [Leica] scanner recommendation
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 08:32:25 -0500

At 11:29 PM 12/9/99 -0500, you wrote:
>How do you get 5400 dpi from the Nikon scanner?  Isn't it rated at 2700 dpi
>(optically)?  I know, I know 2 x 2700= 5400, but this isn't real resolution.
>
>Dan C.

Dan -

Silverfast uses something they call a "Q-Factor (Q for Quality) to make up
for losses in the process of analog-digital conversion."  They recommend
using 1.4 but I figured storing it at the highest possible resolution in
Genuine Fractals, I could then change the resolution to whatever I
need.  You can also scan at 36 Bit color or even 48 Bit RGB instead of
24.  And you can scan up to 16 times to get all of the information in the
shadows. Using all of this does give files of over 100MB but Genuine
Fractals saves it much smaller.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com