Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W Scanning
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 12:01:16 -0500

"B. D. Colen" wrote:

> I'm looking for thoughts regarding the best film for B&W scanning...
>
> Any thoughts?

Yeah: "Best" in what respect?  Isn't it the same as why people use different
films for wet darkroom use?  Different looks?  Different properties?

If I had the time and equipment, it'd be interesting to do a comparison
study.  Not quantitative, but qualitative.  Expose a bunch of different
films, develop them according to manufacturers' recommendations, scan them
and see what the qualitative differences are.

Tri-X in Leica glass is a very good way of capturing that 60s look, I'm
told (I didn't take too many pictures myself in the 60s ;)  I'm guessing
that you'd get similar differences if you printed XP-2 Super as you are now.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     |
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU       |    What boots up must come down.
email: howard.390@osu.edu         |