Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W Scanning
From: Johnny Deadman <deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 23:47:28 +0000

on 10/12/99 11:05 am, B. D. Colen at bdcolen@earthlink.net wrote:

> I'm looking for thoughts regarding the best film for B&W scanning...
>
> I've been using XPSuper, and getting good results, but now find that Tri-X
> seems to scan better, in that the final results have more of the old Leica
> "three dimensional" look than the XP2...
>
> Any thoughts?

Grain, probably... plus a little halation...? I dunno. Personally I find
traditional emulsion films have better blacks and 'worse' (ie less detailed)
highlights... but 'worse' can be better... also the XP films have a really
different rendering of the midtones than TX... they seem to have a lot of
'air' around Zone V, whereas trad films seem to dive off into Zone VI and IV
much more quickly... or maybe that's just me. Anyway, the net result seems
to be that in my experience TX has more midtone contrast, which may mean
that modelling is more apparent.

None of this shows up on the graphs.

What do you use to scan B/W? I have to get myself a filmscanner but god
knows which one...

- --
Johnny Deadman