Subject: [Leica] Jim Marshall - rock and roll photographer!
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@neteze.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1999 18:00:25 -0800

Well, I survived the trip to L.A., barely. I was quite sick by the
time I got there. It was quite fun anyway, though I had to cut the
visit short to Samy's camera.

I got to play with a 15mm Elmar, Very cool lens. I want one!!! (Ted,
you are right! This lens is a great angle of view. I also played with
a 180 Apo Summicron again. Leica has dropped the price on this lens
quite a bit.

But the main reason I went was to see Jim Marshall. He is a very nice
guy. And he has some great stories. I couldn't believe the photo
hobbyists there weren't crowded around him clamoring for his time and
signature on his wonderful book "Not Fade Away." They were too busy
playing with cameras. That's okay I had him all to myself for a while.

He showed me his prized Leica goodie. A Titanium Leicavit! Boy, did
it look good on his Titanium M6. I took a picture of that. He has the
only one in existence. I think Leica needs to put those babies back
into production, or buy out Tom A and use his stuff. He also has a 90
Apo ASPH lens, and complained bitterly about the loose aperture ring.
He said Don Goldberg said he didn't want to fix it, because
disassembling the lens is tricky. Something about

Anyway, his book is great and I highly recommend it. It's a bit of
history of documentary photography that will likely never be
repeated, thanks to PR people who put money ahead of everything else,
and stars who are not comfortable enough with themselves to be real
with their fans. It did my heart good when Jim told me about how he
refused to sell one of his famous photos to a rock promoter, and told
him to his face that he was the reason why that kind of photography,
which he craved, would never again likely be made. (With more
colorful language than I'm reporting here).

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA

I can resist anything but temptation.