Subject: [Leica] Re: scanner recommendation
From: "The Adler Family" <badler@nanospace.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1999 21:23:55 -0800

I bought the Polaroid 4000 when it first came out and was very impressed. I
was able to enlarge portions of negatives and get truly wonderful results. I
had no experience with any other scanners until then. My thoughts were to
buy the most recent technology, which Polaroid was. At 4000dpi vs the
2700dpi of the Nikon LS2000, the choice seemed clear.

About 6 months after purchasing the Polaroid scanner, I began to get dark
horizontal lines across one section of each negative/positive I scanned.
Also, the software was becoming more of a nusance as it did not adjust well
to different types of emulsions. My understanding is that the Polariod
scanner uses some kind of lighting device to scan with, whereas the Nikon
uses three LEDs (red, green and blue). The LEDs tend to have less variance
in the light emitted than the Polaroid light.

At any rate, I returned the Polaroid (still under warranty) to Keeble &
Shuchatt and showed them the output. They very kindly said I could have
another Polaroid or an LS2000. I went with the Nikon, and haven't regretted
it for a second. The detail I can obtain is every bit as good as the
Polaroid, and the software is great. It has no problem recognizing various
emulsions. For some images scanned and posted, visit my Leica (to keep this
on topic) at:

http://members2.clubphoto.com/bob194561/

All of these photos were scanned with the LS2000 @ 2700dpi using 16X
sampling. They were then converted from 16 to 8bits in Photoshop 5, resized
to 640x480 (or thereabouts) and saved and uploaded as a medium format (5)
JPEG file. If you click on any picture, you can see it enlarged. I'm no pro.
I just love being able to do this in the comfort of my home without shutting
myself off from my family for hours whilst printing. It has truly increased
the joy I get from my Leicas. The Nikon is a quality machine that has
provided me with beautiful color and B&W 8x10s that are plastered all over
my home, my office and some on the above WEB pages.

Hope this help the original poster make a decision.

Bob Adler