Subject: Re: [Leica] Meter Suggestions
From: Kip Babington <cbabing3@swbell.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 10:59:31 -0600

Bill -

I'll toss in my usual suggestion to take a look at the Quantum Calcu-Light
meter.  Small (deck of cards again, slightly shorter than a Sekonic 308 but
slightly thicker) very light, and reads both incident and reflected but not
flash.  It takes four of the S76 batteries, which cost more than the typical
single AA or 9v in others, but they last a LONG time as they only drive a 2
digit LED, and only as long as you hold down the meter or recall button.  You
transfer the LED readout to a dial on the face of the meter, where it stays
until you change it.  The meter is instant on (unlike the Sekonic 308, which I
also have, and which drives me nuts with its automatic off, then battery check
when you turn it back on and no memory of its last reading.)  It only takes one
hand to work the Quantum, and I personally prefer the dial to a digital readout
(I started with a Weston.)  A couple of the Quantums went for around $75 on
Ebay recently, and I got my last one in my local full line camera shop for $50
used (it's mint.)  KEH usually wants $99 for their used ones.

Whatever you get, use it frequently as you enjoy the Leica.

Cheers,
Kip