Subject: RE: [Leica] Photoshop hardware requirements?
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 11:21:17 -0800

From what I've read, PS likes to work in RAM that's 4-5 times the size of
the image being processed.  So for a 20-30MB file, you'll need around 128MB
of RAM.  I tried to run PS on my old 200Mhz Pentium with 64MB, and when
processing 20MB images it swapped to disk constantly.  It was painfully
slow. When I upgraded to a machine with enough memory it was a huge relief.

Your processor is plenty fast enough, but consider a RAM upgrade to 128MB.
SCSI disks have faster transfer rates than IDE drives, which will only make
a difference when storing or retrieving images (as long as you have enough
RAM to prevent swapping - if not, SCSI will make the swapping faster).  SCSI
disks are also much more expensive than IDE disks.  So, spend your money on
memory, and you'll be a lot happier.

Paul Chefurka