Subject: Re: [Leica] Photoshop hardware requirements?
From: Skip Williams <skipwilliams@pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 14:29:42 -0500

64k of RAM will work, but you'll get a lot of swapping as you work on big
images.  Photoshop loves memory.  I'd get as much as you can afford.  My
new machine will probably have 256k.   Image manipulation stresses the
entire system, from the graphics subsystem all the way to to bus speed and
HD I/O bandwidth.

Also, those 27Mg scans eat up your HD real quick.  You might want to think
about something like a CD-R drive to archive your raw scans, and then work
on them off the ND.

I'd do some searches on Deja.com for additional information

Skip

At 12/13/99 08:01 PM  +0100, you wrote:
>According to Adobe's website the hardware requirements for Photoshop are very
>moderate. (5.5 "additional" 64K RAM, 96k recommended, LE "additional" 16k
>Ram).
>But from your posts I learned that a scan at 2700 dpi resolution will produce
>27k file. So what you will actually need? I have a Pentium II with 400Mhz and
>64k RAM. And what about SCSI card?
>
>Sorry for the perhaps silly questions, but books on the subject are either
>outdated or, in order to avoid this, too general. Magazines focus on
>equipment
>tests, but not on complete solutions. And when asking a sales person, you are
>always in between the computer and the photo department who both recommend
>what
>they have as unsold stock.
>
>Hans-Peter

Skip Williams