Subject: Re: [Leica] Leicavit (was: Jim Marshall - rock and rollphotographer!)
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 12:34:20 EST

In a message dated 12/14/99 6:22:31 AM Pacific Standard Time,
bcaldwell@softcom.net writes:
 Tom,
 Thanks for the very thorough explanation. How does the Rapidwinder compare
 to the Leicavit in size and weight?
 Bryan

The Rapidwinder is about 2 mm taller than the Leicavit MP and the lever is 5
mm longer than the one on the Leicavit MP. The height of the Rapidwinder is
the same as the top-plate of a non-TTL M6. Weight-wise the Rapidwinder weighs
in at about 130 grams and if I remember right, the Leicavit weighs about
90-100 grams. Maybe some LUGger with access to one can put it a pair of
scales and give a more precise weight.
The Rapidwinder allows a slightly higher frames per second speed as the
return spring is stronger than the ones on the MP.
 The Leicavit MP has no tripod bushings and the Rapidwinder in its latest
incarnation has two of them. The housing of the Rapidwinder is made from an
aerospace alloy and all the drive components are either stainless steel or
high tensile strength alloy.
I wonder what the cost would be to make a replica Leicavit MP. A Japanese
company, Kanto, made a replica of the old SCNOO rapidwinder some years ago.
It sold in very limited quantities for in excess of US$ 1200 and considering
the complexity of the Leicavit MP, I would suspect that the replica would
cost at least twice that. Seems like the used price for the MP reflects that
cost. Well, maybe one day the Rapidwinder will be highly priced collectible
too! I have made just about as many Rapidwinders as Leica made Leicavit MP's
so from supply side economics point of view, it is possible.
All the best,
Tom A

Tom Abrahamsson
www.rapidwinder.com