Subject: Re: [Leica] Photoshop hardware requirements?
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 08:37:15 -03-30

At 09:18 PM 14/12/99 -0800, you wrote:

>Yep, I think it costs $1,500. But from what I've seen of GIMP, I'd pay the
>big bucks.
>
>This is just an opinion of someone who has used Photoshop professionally
>almost every day of the past 7 years. YMMV.

         Any one who uses Photoshop for pre-press work (ie; moving pictures
to print) will not be happy with The Gimp. It doesn't have the features for
those related functions.  It was designed primarily for web and multimedia
imaging.  Where it is a very good imaging tool .... if you use Linux!

Photoshop is a pig (grossly bloated, eats resources and grossly over
priced) and unless you are in the "print" or reproduction business, there
are other programs out there that do the job just as well with half the
headaches.

         I am one of the few people hates Photoshop. I've been using it
since VER2.5 and I still think it is a piece of crap programming.....
unfortunately, because of the nature of my work, I'm stuck with it.

         As Linux and The Gimp evolve, you will see it adding pre-press
functions and support because Linux users will demand it or develop themselves.

Greg Locke                         St. John's, Newfoundland
locke@straylight.ca              http://www.straylight.ca
Touched By Fire: doctors without borders in a third world crisis.
http://www.straylight.ca/touchedbyfire.htm
ISBN#0-7710-5305-3 McClelland & Stewart