Subject: Re: [Leica] Re.: Lens choice--sole lens for M6
From: "Julian Koplen" <jkoplen@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 20:49:16 -0500

To the approximately 16 people who wrote me here and off-list to help me
with my choice, a great big THANK YOU.

While there was no pat answer, you did help me greatly with my thinking on
the matter.

I have been reassured about the performance of the old 35mm Summilux and the
50mm Summilux.  I have been alerted to the fact that my 35mm pictures can
become very boring,  if they all show the subjects at mid-distance without
some close-ups and intimacy.

Now my plan is to do a little more homework.  If the classroom light is as
generous as I think, allowing 1/90 or better at f/2 with 800 film, then I'll
go with a non-ASPH Summicron; otherwise, it's a non-ASPH Summilux. If the
childrern and teachers will tolerate me up close (no wise cracks, please),
then I can use the 35mm focal length for showing more environment as well as
more intimate pictures.  If the kids won't let me thaat close--or if my
presence is too disruptive to the class--then I'll use the 50mm as best I
can.  In the last analysis, I have to do the spade work and make my own
decision, but you all have helped me work out my game plan.

And you're all correct.  I've got the M6 itch, and whichever lens I select
will likely have a bunkmate as soon as I can find a "need" for another.

Much appreciation to this very fine group................Julian