Subject: Re: [Leica] Non-equipment related question (almost)
From: csocolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 00:00:33 -0500

bruce5@attglobal.net wrote:

> I know some of you must view your Leica as a means (the tool) to an end
> (unique photographs).  Equipment aside, I'm interested in what you think
> the 2 or 3 most important techniques are that made your best pictures
> your, well, best pictures.  In other words, what have you learned/what
> do you know now, that you wish you knew when you started?
>
> Thanks for sharing your talent,
>
> Bruce

Bruce,

An interesting question. One, perhaps, too worthy of the LUG :-).

First, I always, always keep a camera with me: Usually my M6 loaded with
TMax 400 and the 35 pre-Asph Summicron.

Second, I have learned to set the camera without looking. I know how
many clicks on the shutter dial to any given setting. That's one reason
I won't buy an M6 TTL because the shutter dial turns in the oppositte
direction of my other M bodies. Using the tab on the 35 Summicron I also
know where I'm focused before the camera comes to my eye.

Third, I work very hard at being sensitive to and attuned to my
environment. I try to be completely aware of all going on around me. I
try to anticipate people's movement and actions. As a student of human
nature I try to see a potential photograph before it happens so that I'm
ready for it with the above-mentioned techniques of pre-setting focus
and exposure.

Best wishes to you and all LUG members for the holidays, the new year,
and the next millenium.
- --
Carl Socolow

http://members.tripod.com/SocPhoto/