Subject: RE: [Leica] Non-equipment related question (almost)
From: Buzz Hausner <Buzz@marianmanor.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 08:27:40 -0500

Greetings Bruce!

	The first technique, of course, is to always have a camera with
you...hence M series Leicas, small light, and pocketable (at least in a
jacket pocket when using the pre-aspheric f2/35, along with a thin
Tele-Elmarit, my favorite lenses).

	The second technique which seems to contribute to my best pictures
is to forget about your equipment and focus all your attention on what is
happening around you.  To tell the truth, I most often use a particular lens
for a particular picture because that lens happens to be on the camera when
the picture "occurs."  I have often found that with the exception of very
wide angle lenses, lens choice makes much less difference to the final image
than what you saw and captured in the frame.

	Third, I honestly believe that EXPOSURE, SHARPNESS, and FOCUS are
VASTLY OVER-RATED in their contribution to great photographs.  Many of my
best pictures are blurry, which can show motion, and printed on #5 paper
(Zone?  What Zone?  I don't need your filthy Zones!).  Remember, its the
emotional impact of what appears on paper that counts, not how sharp it is,
and not how easy it was to print.  If you missed the opportunity, what
difference does it make if focus was perfect?

	Take lots of pictures (burn film like mad), become familiar with
your film and become "one with" your equipment, stay alert to your
environment.  Great pictures will happen.

	Buzz Hausner