Subject: RE: [Leica] Need informations about Minolta CLE ans Summicron-C 2/40
From: Jem Kime <jem.kime@cwcom.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 18:04:49 -0000

Frederic,
the camera and lens are both good but there are some things you ought to
know.
The Minolta CLE was a reworking of the Leica CL (which was made by, and
with Minolta). Minolta added automatic exposure, metering without
mechanical arms (the forerunner of the M6's system), TTL flash metering and
a wider 28mm field of view (among other things). The camera is largely
reliable but in the USA Minolta will no longer service them, here in
Britain they will. I'm not sure what the situation would be in France.
The metering is actuated only when set to A (automatic) exposure, the ASA
settings cater for 25 - 1600 with an overide of + or - 2 stops. Most people
regard the Summicron as better than the Minolta 40/2 lens. The rangefinder
is adequate but not up to the accuracy of the M series, it has a shorter
base length and wider magnification, c. x0.6. to provide the 28mm frame. 2
x SR44 batteries power the camera and a special flash unit mounted onto the
3 pin hot shoe for dedicated flash.
There are only 3 framelines visible in the CLE, the 28mm, 40 and 90mm. So
unfortunately the 35mm lens is not a good option unless you want to use a
seperate viewfinder or guess the framing. Similarly 50mm lenses do not show
an appropriate framing. these lenses  should work but framing the picture
is the problem.

But it is a good 'point and shoot' camera for serious work.

Jem