Subject: RE: [Leica] M3 dilema -- also ? about rangefinder adjustment
From: Jem Kime <jem.kime@cwcom.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 18:15:37 -0000

Bob,
- -----Original Message-----
From:	Ruralmopics@aol.com [SMTP:Ruralmopics@aol.com]

Here's the deal: I ordered a used single stroke M3 from a dealer in
Shutterbug (we don't have any dealers near me that carry this sort of
thing). It seemed like a decent price: $795 for a camera described as
Excellent. I received the camera yesterday and everything is fine EXCEPT:

* It is very difficult to mount lenses. The spring inside the mount looks
new
and it takes an unusual amount of effort to turn a lens (I have four I
tried
them all) in place.
Some cameras and lenses are like this but obviously they shouldn't be. If a
smidge of 'nose grease' doesn't solve the problem then there's too much
adrift in the tolerances. It needs adjusting.
* The rangefinder images are not aligned vertical. A little off I can
accept
as I understand this will very some with focusing distance but this seems
excessive. They don't even line up -- again vertically -- at infinity.
You can sort this by removing the small screw on the front top plate and
then inserting a small fine jewellers screwdriver into the hole and turning
(gently) to see the effect. Try a small twist and then look to see the
change. If that went in the wrong direction, correct it until it's right,
but be gentle. Finally replace the cover screw you took off to start with.
* The camera does not have a viewfinder preview. Its 872xxx serial number
led me to assume it would.
Maybe it's a super rare version worth millions of pounds!

The camera comes with a 14-day return privledge and a 90 day warranty. As I
see it, here are my options:

1.) Accept it the way is. (this does not seem like a reasonable option to
me.)
2.) Return it for a refund and either
    a. buy another camera from the same dealer, or
    b. shop somewhere else
3.) Return it for repair under warranty -- the store (Le Camera) claims to
have their own repair facility.

I'm not too concerned about the viewfinder preview since the 50mm is always
visable and the only telephoto I own is a 90 and I can pretty well judge
when I'm going to need a 90. But the other issues (the mount and the
viewfinder have me going a bit). So here's my questions for you:

Will the mount loosen up on it's own?
No, except over so many years it
Is this something that can be adjusted easily so if I send back for repair
I can expect it to be right?
yes, see above.
Can I assume that they will get the rangefinder adjustment corrected or is
vertical misalignment some kind of fatal flaw in a M3?
Yes, and no.
Also, is the vertical alignment on an M3 something a person can do
themselves without disassembling the camera.?
Yes, see above
What do y'all think?
If you like the camera otherwise and think the dealer's OK get him to
repair it. failing that get your money back and deal elsewhere.
Bob

Jem