Subject: Re: [Leica] Help on shooting available light pictures
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 16:54:52 -0800

John Beal wrote:

<<<<<My problem now is being able to use the equipment properly.
>   I have always gravitate to available light photography, but I don't seem
>to have the proper technique or experience to pull it off.>>>>>>>

Hi John,

To some degree it just takes practice and more practice. Burn lots of film
and you're bound to improve.

<<<<<<<Any time I have use 800-3200 ASA film it seem VERY grainy, to the
point of looking like an abstract painting.  I'm usually shooting at 1/15
or 1/30 (to minimize shake) @ 2.0 and seem to have accurate focus at these
settings. >>>>>

It sounds like the camera handling is OK, it maybe film development or the
film you're using, Kodak,Ilford other?  But my gut feeling is the
processing will create more grain look than the type of film.  Do you do
your own?

<<<<I realize a Summilux-M 35 or Noctilux and/or access to a B&W lab for
custom development would be most desirable, but it's not in the cards just
yet.>>>>

The above gear wouldn't effect the grain much other than it would allow you
to use a slower film, therefore less grain. But even then, if the film
isn't processed properly, over agitated or other factors to increase grain,
developer for example. And even a Noctilux wont eliminate that look with
bad processing.

A professional lab isn't the answer, although helpful, as many on the LUG
do their own B&W film and have great success all the time, I see no reason
you can't do as well. That is of course you have the space, it appears you
have a darkroom for your printing therefore it's a piece of cake to soup
the film using a solid developing technique for successful looking
negatives.

But even then, film itself has grain and the higher the speed...3200... has
a fair amount of it, more so in the wrong developer. So I think there are
some questions to be answered before any of us can be helping.

Do you soup your own film?

What film do you use?

What developer do you use?  what times for processing?  What temperatures?

How do you process the film?  IE: how much agitation, how hot the
developer,  and how do you handle the processing tank during development?

I figure if you answer these maybe we can get you on a better grain
pattern, wont eliminate it, but we might fine tune it some.

<<<<<Could any one on the LUG comment on any of the following:

> - most suitable film for low light...>>>>>>>>
 Depends on how little light you're working under but Ilford or Kodak 400
or 3200 films work well.

> - techniques you use in available light>>>>>>>

It isn't the techniques of shooting, other than making sure you hand hold
very steady and you've indicated you get sharp at 1/15th and 30th, so
you're doing alright in that department.  Some here should be so lucky.:)

> - reasonable expectations of available light shots>>>>>>

Beautiful everytime!!!!!!!!  Unless you push beyond a reasonable limit of
what can be recorded and pulled out of the negative.

Have a look at the websight "This is Our Work. The Legacy of Sir William
Osler" The websight address is below. The book and photographers'
supplement is a good example of available light photography at it's best!
;) (Hey guys I gotta say that!) ;)

Anyway come back to us with your answers and we'll go from there.

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant