Subject: Re: [Leica] Help on shooting available light pictures
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 21:50:17 +0100

John,

You did not say what film and developer you are using. Of course, high speed
film will be grainy, but you can control the grain to some extent by choice of
developer. I have had good results with Ilford Delta 3200 rated at 1600 and
developed in XTOL stock for 7 mins. at 20C/68F. If you want color, try Fuji's
PJ800 film, it is brilliant. If you shoot slide film at these speeds, I am
afraid you are out of luck; in my view there is no good slide film above 200.

Nathan

J Beal wrote:

> Hello All,
>    I have my M4-P and Summicron-M 50 for almost a year now.  It's finally
> beginning to "feel right" in my hands and my Nikon's seem clunky by
> comparison.  My problem now is being able to use the equipment properly.
>    I have always gravitate to available light photography, but I don't seem
> to have the proper technique or experience to pull it off.  Any time I have
> use 800-3200 ASA film it seem VERY grainy, to the point of looking like an
> abstract painting.  I'm usually shooting at 1/15 or 1/30 (to minimize shake)
> @ 2.0 and seem to have accurate focus at these settings.  I realize a
> Summilux-M 35 or Noctilux and/or access to a B&W lab for custom development
> would be most desirable, but it's not in the cards just yet.  Could any one
> on the LUG comment on any of the following:
>  - good resource material (books, websites)
>  - most suitable film for low light
>  - techniques you use in available light
>  - reasonable expectations of available light shots
> As always, any help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> John Beal II, Oregon

- --