Subject: [Leica] Re: Extreme Low Light Color etc.; NHG II plug
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@oven.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 02:16:26 -0500

1999-12-18-10:49:35 Eric Welch:
> I can answer your question quite simply. For the best color prints in
> available light under the coditions you are talking, the vote among
> photojournalists is essentially unanimous. Fuji 800, at 800, 1600 and 3200.
> There is no competition. Espeically Kodak.

But there's competition within Fuji's own line.  I can vouch for the
usefulness of their NHG II.  It's 800-speed color-negative, and seems
to push like a dream, and be a mite finer-grained than the regular CZ
line.  (But I'm not necessarily up on any very recent changes they may
have made -- and what's with this "Press 800"?  Is it the stuff?)

Anyway, NHG II at 1600 (with a 1-stop C41 push) doesn't really seem to
display preceptibly more grain than NHG II at 800 -- the dark bits
just fall into black with a bit more of a "thunk".  I actually find
the look appealing.

Some examples of NHG II at 1600:

    http://krusty.oven.com/temp-displays/jpeg-nonmac-gamma/c3990802-09%5balex%5d0705.jpeg

    http://krusty.oven.com/temp-displays/jpeg-nonmac-gamma/c3990802-06%5birina+j+h%5d0705.jpeg

Change "nonmac" above to just "mac" for darker versions which may look
nicer on Macs.

(Both with the 75/1.4, by the way, probably at f/2.8)

 -Jeff M.