Subject: [Leica] Summilux 35mm
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 08:37:48 -0400

Last Friday I bought a new pre-ASPH Summilux 35mm 1.4 from a Leica dealer. I
know that Leica discontinued this model in 1995 when they came out with the
ASPH version but it was a new lens with Passport and I had wanted this lens
for awhile. I thought that I would end up with a used one but there does not
seem to many of them advertised for sale. When I got home I looked in
Sartorius' Leica Lens Guide and checked the serial #3537736 on the tables at
the back of the book. And to my surprise it was listed as being made in
1990. So here are my questions: How does a lens sit on a dealers shelf for
10 years? Was this lens not very much in demand because of its high price?
And is this a problem for dealers having expensive inventory that does not
sell? Now I don't really care that I bought a new lens in 1999 made in 1990
because Leica lenses are not like cars that have annual changes. From
everything that I have heard this is a great lens and am expecting to take
some good photos with it. But I am wondering about this situation and if
anybody has any comment on it and does anybody know how many of these lens
were made?

Steve
Annapolis