Subject: [Leica] Re: Exposing slide film at night
From: "Roger Beamon" <roger@beamon.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 18:25:29 -0700

On 20 Dec 99, Julian Koplen wrote, at least in part:

> I wonder how many experienced Leica users have allowed themselves to
> defer decisions to the matrix.  And I wonder if, in general usage, a
> knowledgeable photographer would get different results with the
> matrix than with the spot. I am thinking primarily of work with
> color slides, but I would be interested in hearing about all kinds
> of actual comparisons.

I'm compelled to say this occasionally. Too many people
'overintellectualize' this matter of exposure. The matrix that is
programed by gnomes with every conceivable exposure
permutation known to man is thought to have super/supra
knowledge about how to properly get that image to the film. Well,
they are good and can be relied upon to do what they're
programed to do, BUT, remember the following: Every exposure
that the matrix/computer combination tackles is resolved to *one
f-stop and one shutter speed*. That is exactly what you do when
you do it manually based on your experience or experience plus
meter.

Are you as good as the matrix/gnome/computer combo? Only
your film and you know. With enough experience under your belt,
you can be; maybe even better! That, to me, is what Leica
photography is all about.

- --
Roger
Leica Enthusiasts Mailing List