Subject: Re: [Leica] M3 dilema -- also ? about rangefinder adjustment
From: Jeff S <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 15:22:54 -0700

Bob,
Leica mentions using a very light coating of petroleum jelly on the
lensmount. Since I happened to have fancy plastic-safe Teflon grease
around, that's what I used instead (I'd hesitate to use petroleum-based
lubricants near the vulcanite covering). A blob the size of a match head
and applied with a cotton swab is sufficient to treat a number of
cameras and lenses. You'll probably want to go over everything with a
dry swab to catch any excess: When you're done, the cameras should not
look or feel greasy. Not long ago, I was looking over a IIIf ST that
appeared to have been gone over with degreaser-not only was the lens
tough to remove, but it squeaked as it spun off!

> Ruralmopics@aol.com wrote:
> Here's the deal: I ordered a used single stroke M3 from a dealer in
> Shutterbug (we don't have any dealers near me that carry this sort of thing).
> It seemed like a decent price: $795 for a camera described as Excellent.
>
> I received the camera yesterday and everything is fine EXCEPT:
>
> * It is very difficult to mount lenses. The spring inside the mount looks new
> and it takes an unusual amount of effort to turn a lens (I have four I tried
> them all) in place.

[snip]

> Will the mount loosen up on it's own? Is this something that can be adjusted
> easily so if I send back for repair I can expect it to be right? [snip]
- --

Jeff Segawa
Somewhere in Boulder, Colorado
http://www.boulder.net/~4season