Subject: [Leica] Minilux battery life
From: Heikki Puustinen <heikki.puustinen@telemic.fi>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 16:44:26 +0200

Hello from -21C Finland.

Minilux is otherwise a very good camera, but it has made me
angry many times because of the empty battery.
This happened again yesterday and I decided to do something
for the situation. No I did not throw the camera away!
I took a multimeter to measure the current Minilux takes
and found a very strange thing. Normally when I take photos
with Minilux and I think I will take the next photo very
soon I leave the camera ON (the lens out). I thought this
will save the battery because the lens motor does not
operate.
The measurement showed a constant 20mA current when at ON.
The switching from to ON or OFF take about 200-300mA but
only for about 1 second.
This gives after a short calculation a result:
300mAs = 20mA * 15s
This means if I leave the camera at ON position it takes in
15 seconds the same energy as needed to shut it OFF. So if
the interval between photos is longer than 30 seconds it is
wise to switch the camera OFF between photos.
I hope my measurements and calculations are correct, but
for me this was a good explanation why my Minilux battery
is so often empty.

Maybe someone from Leica could give more exact numbers for
the currents and energy used for switching ON/OFF.

	Heikki Puustinen
	tel.direct +358 17 287 1451
	mobile     +358 400 374640
	fax.         +358 17 4621212