Subject: Re: [Leica] incidently
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 14:04:24 -0800

Bernard wrote:

> Frank Dernie wrote:
>
> > I am not as experienced as many on the list but I also have been using
> > the spot setting for years. No reflected meter can ever be as accurate
> > at an incident meter (unless measuring agrey card!)
>
> As a matter of fact, reflected light metering can and will be *much*
> more relevant than incident light values. Just think about high key, low
> key and anything else in which you have to make a real choice or
> otherwise force events. Who cares how much light hits your object. You
> need to know the range of light your object(s) are returning to you, so
> you can determine what parts you want on the linear part of the
> film-curve, and what parts you choose to live without. This goes for any
> premeditated shot of anything at all. It's reflected metering that give
> you real spot-on information. Incident metering is only nice for very
> average subject and for when you're in an unimaginative mood.
>
> Bernard

I agree 100% Benard this topic has not come up for a while. Some people think
they are in the inside loup with incident reading. I think it's mindless. There
is a very short learning curve to learning how to interpret readings. Photoraphy
in automatic and instant enough allready. You open up for bright things and
close down for dark things whey you take a reading. Otherwise you are placeing
or what have you everything in middlegreyzoneVville.
Mark Rabiner