Subject: Re: [Leica] incidently
From: "Isaac H Crawford" <isaacc@flashcom.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 00:01:01 -0500

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Mike Durling <durling@widomaker.com>
To: <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 1999 11:11 PM

> I'm not going to argue that reflected or incident metering is inherently
> better.  I just think that people who knock incident metering miss the
> point.  You are measuring the light.  An incident reading, taken at face
> value, will allow the relationships between tones in a photograph to
> approximate the relationships that exist in the original scene.  After the
> reading the placement of tones for creative expression is the same mental
> exercise regardless of metering technique.
>
> Most motion picture photography, something I have a lot of experience
with,
> is done with incident meters.  The reason is purely practical, it helps to
> ensure consistency between shots that have to cut together.
>
> There are many different techniques for incident metering.  I took a
seminar
> with a Hollywood cinematographer who used a flat disk on his meter and
only
> measured the key (primary) light.  He then lit the rest of the scene by
eye.
> Takes a lot of experience but it certainly worked for him.
>
> Mike D

    Not true! I can find my contrast range very quickly with an incident
meter. First, take a reading in the same light as the subject. Then
approximate the darkest area by selectively sheilding the light hitting the
meter. I now have the overall contrast range for the entire scene in about
two seconds. From there I make judgements as to where to place the zones
just as you would with a reflected meter. I find that I can meter a scene
more quickly and make my judgements just as accuratly in most situations.
The real exception is when I am photographing something that is illuminated,
in other words, when I am taking a picture of a light source. Examples would
be stained glass windows, backlit fall leaves, etc. That's why I have
both... Use whatever works, the result is the same, a properly exposed piece
of film!

Isaac