Subject: Re: [Leica] Zone system, for roll film, in a nutshell
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 19:45:20 -0800

Jim Brick wrote:

The simplest, concise, informative zone system I've ever read! It's
intelligent, understandable, simple, (love that aspect) :) and very easy to
do.  I can now add it to the only other zone thing I've ever understood,
the de-militarized zone!

The other part I like is going back to bed, although under the conditions
of his description:

<<<<Zone butt ugly:
The sun is squinty bright and the shadows really deep.

I believe I'd lather up with sun screen, get a cold beer, the M6 and go lie
beside the pool in case some beauty stepped into the shade and made a nice
picture possiblity! :)

ted

>Zone system, for roll film, in a nutshell:
>
>There are four zones.
>
>Zone Good, Zone Bad, Zone Ugly, Zone Butt Ugly.
>
>To use the system:

>Wake up. Get out of bed. Go outside.
>
>Zone good:
>It is light overcast-ish, light shadows. But good light direction.
>Expose normal (eg; Tri-X @ 400,) develop normal.
>
>Zone bad:
>It is dismally overcast, no shadows. Perhaps even drizzle.
>Underexpose one stop (eg; Tri-X @ 800,) over develop 20%
>
>Zone ugly:
>The sun is out, sky is clear, and there are blatant shadows.
>Overexpose one stop (eg; Tri-X @ 200,) under develop 20%
>
>Zone butt ugly:
>The sun is squinty bright and the shadows really deep.
>
>Jim

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant