Subject: Re: LUGRe: [Leica] New Black Paint M6 TTL and M6J
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@neteze.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 22:50:50 -0800

sometime around 12/22/99 6:12 PM, TEAShea@aol.com at TEAShea@aol.com was
heard  to write:

> Your points are well taken.  This gets me thinking that Leica is going to
> struggle as long as it has to resort to such peripheral gimmicks to make
> money.

A flawed beginning to a exercise in reasoning leads to flawed results. What
makes you think Leica is doing this to "make money." Like they don't make
money with the standard M6? And in the condition this company is reputedly
in, do you think they'd allow them to lose money doing the black paint M6? I
don't think so.

And are you going to tell BMW they can't do a station wagon because it's a
gimmick?

Or Dodge the Viper?

Leica must satisfy everyone out there, not just purist LUGGERS who don't
think anyone else's wishes should be fulfilled becuase it doesn't match
their sensibilities?

I'm not picking on you Tom -- you just gave me the launching pad to rail
against anti-special-edition folks. I remember a participant at the Cape Cod
Seminar happily carrying around his Platinum M6 and actually USING it. If it
makes him happy, who are we to tell Leica they can't make those cameras for
folks like him?

- --

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.neteze.com/ewelch

Cynicism often masquerades for sophistication in our society, but more often
than not it's merely an indicator of resentment.