Subject: [Leica] New film technology may slow advance of digital?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@neteze.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 06:30:22 -0800

A friend just sent me an article from the Associated Press about a new
development (ha ha) by Agfa that could change the digital/film race for a
very long time. I can't reproduce it here becuase it's a copyrighted
article.

Up to this point one of the weaknesses of film is its inefficient use of the
electrons that photons knock around in film. Most of them go back to their
spot of origin and don't contribute to the image. But Agfa has found that
adding a chemical causes the electrons to stay where the photon knocks them
to. This means nearly 100 percent efficiency in the silver halides that were
struck by light between exposure and development.

Kodak has said they've been working on similar processes, but think it will
be hard to make such a film. But it will happen, you can bet. The major
problem for some reason is reproducing red light. So black and white will
probably come first.

What it means is very good low light film with very high quality and fine
grain!

So the future of film is looking very good, and could set digital back on
it's schedule to derail film as the preferred medium for photography for a
very long time. And I'm just fine with that.

- --

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.neteze.com/ewelch

Cynicism often masquerades for sophistication in our society, but more often
than not it's merely an indicator of resentment.