Subject: Re: [Leica] Forsale and WTB on the LUG
From: "Bryan Caldwell" <bcaldwell51@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 1999 12:45:15 PST

Bill,

Well said. This was my point when I raised an objection to the "Friday"
policy about a year ago. If imposed, I think it works to the detriment of
the list.

If I decided to sell or trade in a piece of equipment on the weekend (when I
have the most time to ponder such things) I would like to be able to offer
it to the members of the LUG first. I like seeing things go to people I know
and people who are going to appreciate them. But, when I usually sell or
trade in to get something else, am I going to wait a week to see if anyone
on the LUG is interested? Probably not.

A Fridays only policy means that opportunities will not be offered on the
LUG that would be otherwise.

My other objection is that, in my opinion, it gets very dangerous to start
limiting certain topics to certain days. The list clearly belongs to Brian
and he can do with it what he wants. But, the field of "Leica use"
encompasses a lot. It includes M and R cameras and lenses, but also
enlargers, projectors, darkroom equipment, thread mounts, microscopes,
digital cameras, binoculars, and more. I don't think that any LUG member is
interested in everything remotely Leica related. To say that because some
LUG members don't want to read For Sale postings and therefore they should
be limited one day a week leads to the limitation of other topics. Either
we're free to post, read, respond or ignore topics or we're not.

I have a very hard time believing that For Sale posts on a Wednesday are
going to collapse the list and wreck havoc upon the system.

Like any other topic, common courtesy indicates that the subject line of the
post should carry a "For Sale" or an "FS", and then anyone offended by such
a post on a non-Friday can ignore it. Just like anyone can ignore any Leica
sub-topic about which they're not interested.

What difference does it make?

Bryan