Subject: [Leica] re - Automatic flash vs. TTL
From: Alex Brattell <alex@zetetic.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 1999 14:51:48 +0000

 Gaifana@aol.com wrote

>Has there ever been a systematic comparison between using an automatic flash
>as against a TTL system? I know that a lot of people make a big deal about
>TTL flash on this group, but I'm not sure why it's a prerequisite for any
>camera. Leica eschewed the TTL flash for about 12 years with the M6, even it
>doesn't involve adding much after you've got a TTL ambient sensor on board.
>
>Maybe my view of TTL was colored by using a Nikon SLR, but it seems that for
>some purposes, automatic is more useful, especially with something like a
>Metz Mecamat sensor. I know that the Mecamat is steerable and has its own
>gunsight-style aiming aid, parallax-corrected. It would seem that this would
>be better for determining the coverage area of the flash sensor. Most TTL
>systems, Leica included, seem to draw from the center of the frame, which
>would rarely be the place you would find people's faces (which would require
>+1 compensation - which would seem pretty tough to do with an M6TTL, since
>there is no comp dial, and changing the aperture would cause the whole system
>to cancel out your change).

Good question.
The only camera I've had TTL flash on is  Pentax LX, and I've never felt I
wanted to rely on it or trust it. No need, it doesn't take much experience
to know how your flash set up behaves. It seems another  way around the same
old flash equation with less versatility.  Am I missing something?

BTW The Best Sol Natalis, Christmas, Holidays, Y2K, Millennium, Chiliad,
whatever, to all. Let's raise a glass to Fascination!
And thanks to the LUG for all the wisdom, life experience, internationalism,
and genial rubbish that has lightened many a morning for me.

What about some predictions for the new century?

I think the outlook for photography is fantastic with a spread of
technologies and increasing visual literacy. Digital will not be the only
way in any of our lifetimes, except for snapshots which will become a
digital add-on to your mobile 'phone/organiser/MP3.  As fine art disappears
up its own orifice and manufacturing becomes ever more bland  the handmade
print (and camera) will become more special and desirable. Photography as a
profession continues to be devalued .Fees don't go up, newspapers in
continued decline etc - but skills such as printmaking, editing, the visual
communication of ideas become more valuable if packaged in a way that a
marketplace addicted to novelty will desire. Being 'a photographer' is a
great vocation with which to bring many skills together, more than ever
versatility is the key.  Analogue 'truth' becomes a distinct form. Silver
negative imaging will remain a reference point. (Aesthetically as well as in
terms of meaning - I've been coming across digital depth of field blurrings
that are too horrible and will take years to reach the standard of a glass
negative of 1900). Leica makes or breaks in 2000 bringing out a large number
of more affordable products. Rangefinder wars lead to special offers. 90mm
f2 has to come down in price and up in availability; an out of reach fast
90mm is a real hole in the M-System. Leica team up with Minolta to bring out
a slide scanner and Leica-M digital backs. Leica boutique redesigned by Karl
Lagerfeld.

Oh look, a man in a white coat. Time to go.

Alex

                         alex@zetetic.co.uk
    http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~abrattell/