Subject: Re: [Leica] Rangefinder or SLR?
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 1999 11:56:22 -0800

Tom Coleman wrote:

> My wife purchased my a Leica M series range finder for Christmas and I'm
> thrilled.  Up until now, I've used a Minolta SLR and have enjoyed the
> through the lens focusing and zoom lenses which allow flexibility in composition.
>
> I'm really torn now whether I should keep the Leica M or exchange it for
> the R series SLR.  Any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Tom Coleman

You need to give it a fair shot first. You are being dragged into this kicking
and screaming. A rangefinder is a thinking persons camera. Some pre planing is
often appreciated: Zone focusing. It's a less obvious and easy camera system for
most people who are used to slrs. The photographs you get from the camera
themselves will be an inspiration though in some cases the R glass is the same.
But with every R glass is the glass from the mirror flapping up and down.
Mark Rabiner